Prom is a ton of fun no matter where you go to school – the music, the dancing, the dresses – but every school has different ways of celebrating the big night. Here are all the weirdest things students do for prom across the country.
1. Post-prom party. Some schools will host a party after prom with food and fun activities. Most are optional, but at some schools attendance is mandatory. « We had after-prom where the school forced us to play laser tag and bounce on a bouncy house right after prom until 5 a.m. so no one went out and drank, » Madhura Berman, from Highstwon, NJ told Seventeen.com.
2. Mock accident performances. To prevent car accidents that sometimes happen during prom weekend, Monroe Woodbury High School in NY hosts a « mock accident » performance every year to scare students away from drinking and driving. The performance is equipped with flipped cars, fake blood, and students playing accident victims. It’s pretty creepy tbh.
3. Skipping school the day of prom. Some schools have prom on a Friday and kids will dip out on classes that day. It’s totally understandable, because how are you supposed to get ready for prom if you don’t have an entire day??
4. Wearing garters. At some schools girls buy garters (yes, like brides wear at weddings) to wear for prom. They’ll get a garter to match their dress and some girls even get them customized with their initials or graduation year. Once prom starts, girls will give their garter to their date to wear around their arm and the date will often keep the garter. The garter tradition stems from the popular wedding tradition of the garter removal. According to BrideBox , this tradition was based on the belief that it is lucky to keep a piece of a bride’s gown.
5. Prom weekend. After prom night – or sometimes right after prom – students in New Jersey will skip town with their whole squad and head to The Shore. They’ll go on a fun weekend trip to celebrate the end of the school year. Groups of students will rent a hotel room or a house and hang out at the beach.
6. Wearing your date’s tie. Guys will give their dates their ties to wear – after pictures, of course. Unlike garters, the girls usually have to give them back at the end of the night, so they can be returned to the suit rental store.
7. Pre-prom pep rally. Some schools will host a pep rally the day of, or the week before prom to really get students stoked about the dance.
8. Drawing your prom date from a hat. Students at Aquin High School from Freeport, IL participate in a date-picking tradition that’s almost 90 years old, called Prom Draw. JournalStandard.com reports that students volunteer to have their names entered, then the boys draw their date’s name and do promposal skits for the girls. The girls are dressed in disguise for the skits, then the boys ask them and they must say yes. Prom Draw was started in the 1920s in order to include local kids from the orphanage in the prom fun. The students vote every year on whether to keep the tradition alive.
Follow @Seventeen on Instagram.